Sunday 1 March 2015

Apno Ko Apne Dum Pe Jeena Sikhao


The school science fair was coming up. I was at my wit's end as to what to make as my project. As  usual, and like most of my classmates, I ran to my parents for help. They were more than happy to guide me, but also warned me well in advance that they would only point me in the right direction and then leave me to do the project on my own.
Initially, I complained that all my other friends were taking their parent’s help. In fact, some of them were completely relying on their parents, right from thinking of the concept, to carrying the completed project to school. But my parents did not budge.
I decided to make a project on photosynthesis. I grew plants and studied the effect of sunlight on them. My parents did not help, but I knew that they were watching over me.
The day of the science fair had arrived. I carried the project all the way to school alone. My parents showed no inclination of coming to watch me. When I reached school, I found all my classmates, with their parents, setting up their projects. The projects looked well-done, and it was rather obvious that an adult had done most, if not all of the work involved. ‘There is no way I can win this’ I thought to myself, as I reluctantly began setting up my own project.

The presentation had to be done by the students themselves and parents were not allowed to intervene. The judges asked the students some follow up questions as well, just to check their knowledge of the topic. I presented the project to the judges and answered their questions, which I found to be rather easy. When the results were announced, I was surprised to hear my name being called out as the winner. I went on stage to collect my prize. From there I saw my parents at the back. They had tears of joy pouring from their eyes.
I ran against the crowd, to hug them. They were proud of me. I was also proud of myself. I had won, on my own, without any help from anyone. I was filled with a strange warmth. It felt wonderful. An hour later, one of the judges came to congratulate me. Before he left, he whispered in my ear, ‘The reason you won, is because we knew that you were the only one who had done the project himself. The others had good projects, but when we questioned them, they didn’t know anything about their own projects!’
From that day, I have never depended on anyone. I made my own choices and I didn’t look back. Thanks to my parents, I can proudly say today that I am a self made man. When I have kids, I will also teach my children to be self-reliant, and I urge you all to do the same. Seriously, Apno Ko Apne Dum Pe Jeena Sikhao!
To know more about how to do that go here: http://www.hdfclife.com/ 

 -------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

badge