Tuesday 13 January 2015

Don’t Compromise – Ever! #UseYourAnd

“Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon.”
-Rorschach (Watchmen)

Monica was a state level debate champion and probably one of the feistiest girls I knew. She was as restless and ferocious as the sea. So, when her parents told her to quit law college, she blew the roof. Her parents wanted her to get married to marry Ramesh, the son of her father’s best friend. Law was a five year course and she had only completed her first year, whereas her parents wanted to get her married that year itself.

Now, normally Monica would just refuse to marry and would continue with her studies, despite what her parents told her. But there was one problem – she liked Rames. In fact, she loved him him. She called me to her house to seek my advice.

“I don’t know what to do.” she said as she shaved he legs with Gillette Venus Razor, “should I marry Ramesh OR should I pursue my law degree?”

I asked her why she could not do both. She looked at me with disbelief for a second, as if I was mad. She said that one could not be a successful corporate lawyer, a good wife and a caring mother at the same time. I admitted to her that I could not pretend to know what that’s like since I was not a woman, but I assured her it was not unprecedented. ‘#UseYourAnd’ and not your ‘Or’, I urged her.

Image taken from here.
She looked at the Gillette Venus Razor which she was holding in her hand, for a whole minute. I don’t know what clicked in her mind, but she immediately called Ramesh and said “Look Ramesh, if you want to do this, you have to let me pursue my career. I’m getting my law degree and I’m going to work to be one of the best lawyers this city has seen. Nothing you say can change that. I’m not just going to sit at home all day waiting for you If you are okay with that, then great. If not, then goodbye! Deal or no deal?”

For a few seconds there was silence, then Ramesh said, “Deal! I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

This incident took place 7 years ago. Today Monica works at one of the best corporate law firms in Mumbai. She and Ramesh have two lovely kids. And they both couldn’t have been happier.

See what happens when #UseYourAnd ?

This post is dedicated to Monica Mishra – the perfect woman.


 This post is a part of #UseYourAnd activity at BlogAdda in association with Gillette Venus".

------------------
Hey! We are also on Blogmint. Do check us out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

badge