Tuesday 4 June 2013

Waking Up on the Wrong Side of the Desk


“Hey the Cops are coming! What do we do?”

“Quick! Go to sleep!”

Indeed, while earlier the Police needed a warrant to arrest you, now they may also need a warrant to wake you up.

Everyone knows what they’ll see as soon as they put on the ‘Lok Sabha’ channel on T.V. Many even criticize our politicians for taking long naps whilst laws are being discussed and passed. But aren’t they just exercising one of their Fundamental Rights?

This year the S.C., in a judgement which is a beacon of hope for all students who snooze on the last bench in class or those public servants who take power naps during work, had declared that the ‘Right to Sleep’ was a ‘Fundamental Right’. Probably taking inspiration from the movie ‘Inception’, the S.C. has taken a ‘leap of faith’ by incorporating these ‘radical notions’ in its judgment. The judgment is definitely a step forward. Surely, when nothing goes into my head when I pay full attention in a lecture, there is no harm in resting my eyes and letting my subconscious try its luck. After all, the brain does perform 20 times faster in sleep. And counting sheep does sound much better than counting the number of case laws I have to read this year. Who knows, maybe the ‘Facebook’-ing or ‘Whats App’-ing may also be Fundamental Rights someday <Fingers crossed>

Enforcing this may lead to a lot of difficulties. What about those who snore loudly? Would their exercising their ‘right to sleep’ in class violate others’ ‘right to education’? Hmm... I wonder if making students study such a huge syllabus also violates our right to sleep. But I won’t bring up the issue, lest ‘Right to Sleep’ gets added as a new chapter in Constitutional Law.


It seems too good to be true. It almost feels like I’m dreaming, but I still never want to, and no one can, wake me up… So, now I’ll just sleep, without worrying about anyone waking me up with a ‘kick’, and try to forget about the ‘limbo’ that I’m going to fall into, two weeks before the exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment

badge