Tuesday 30 December 2014

Saved by a Shave

Image taken from here.
Finally the coveted day had arrived. I had been working in the same firm for over 3 years now, today was the day I was officially getting promoted. When my boss told me about the promotion I could barely contain myself.
As I drove to the office in my car, I became nostalgic and started remembering the day I first stepped into the office. The day of my interview.
The day started as any other. I woke up. Had a smooth shave with my Gillette Fusion blade and my Gillette Shaving GelI picked up my CV and left the house. Honestly speaking I had no expectation of getting the job. My batch-mate Rahul Verma (name changed to protect identity) was also short-listed for the interview. Now he was an all-rounder. He had almost as many degrees as Manmohan Singh and had just come back from foreign studies. I didn’t stand a chance.
I reached the office where I saw Rahul sitting on the couch. He wore a classy suit and had an expensive watch on. The only flaw in his appearance was the stubble on his face. But Rahul was confident. He knew he was getting the job. When he saw me, he looked at me with contempt, as if I was as nothing to him. We both gave the interview and went our separate ways.
Two days later I got a call saying that I got the job. I was ecstatic. At first I thought I got the job only because Rahul must have turned it down. But a mutual friend of Rahul and mine later confirmed with me that Rahul was never offered the job at all.

Back to the day of the promotion: I was standing before the entire office when the announcement was made. People came up to congratulate me. But I had something else on my mind. I dashed through the crowd, walked up to my boss and asked him why he picked me over Rahul all hose years ago, to which he simply replied, “You bothered to shave for the interview.”

This post is a part of #WillYouShave activity at BlogAdda in association with Gillette.
-------------------------

1 comment:

badge