Sunday 5 July 2015

Moments of Happiness with Mom

There seems to be a new trend developing in parenting. The broad gap between parents and friends is slowly narrowing. Many modern parents have adopted the “buddy parenting” strategy, which has shown some remarkable results. Now, to what extent can we really blur this line? Let me just share some “Khushi Ke Pal” from my own childhood with you.
When I was in school I remember I lost an expensive watch which my father had gifted me. I ran crying to my mother who immediately calmed me down. She promised that she wouldn’t tell a word to my father. She said she would buy the same watch again for him and pretend that nothing had happened on the condition that I help her with some household work. The watch cost Rs. 800/-, which in those days was a lot, especially for a ten year old boy. My mother had fixed my so called “wages” at Rs. 25/- per hour. This way, I could make up for the cost of the watch in 32 hours, which I could finish in a month.
I felt bad when I lost the watch. My mother, kept my secret and bought a new watch for me, as a friend would do. But when it came to doing the household work, she did not cut me much slack. But who was I to complain.
Just three weeks ago, I was having breakfast with my mother. It was my birthday. She wished me as she poured me a bowl of delicious Kellogg’s chocos. Then she presented me with a brand new watch. I could tell it was expensive. My mother had unknowingly reminded me of that childhood incident. Then I had an epiphany. My mother acted as my friend. That’s why we were close. But a friend cannot teach you responsibility. My mother was also strict. She thought how to be a better man.

And there I believe is where the answer lies. Parenting isn’t easy. Its not black and white, its a whole lot of shades of gray. Semi-buddy parenting is what parents should strive for. I will no doubt play that dual role with my own children as well.
----------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

badge